Chief Financial Officer
September 14, 2022
The Academy of Vocal Arts (AVA) seeks a versatile, results-oriented CFO to lead its financial and business operations. This full-time, exempt position reports to the President and includes a competitive benefits package. The ideal candidate for this position is an engaging, creative thinker, able to assimilate information and translate strategic concepts into actionable tactics. An interest in music, particularly opera, is desirable. Attendance at events and operas is expected.
The CFO has a full-time Business Manager as a direct report and a part-time Accounting Associate as an indirect report and is responsible for the financial and business operations of AVA.
- Oversee the monthly financial statement process providing accurate reporting, forecasting, and analysis to the Finance Committee and Board; present reports at Finance Committee and Board meetings
- Prepare annual audited financial statements and notes and oversee the audit process
- Prepare schedules for Form 990 input by audit firm; review and file Form 990 and related state returns
- Review and monitor investments in conjunction with Vanguard and Investment Committee
- Maintain schedule of endowed Net Assets and perform annual earnings allocation
- Prepare annual budget in conjunction with President, Advancement, Marketing, and Box Office
- Ensure complete and accurate reporting within accounting system and Tessitura CRM
- Manage cash with Business Manager and budgeted spending rule calculation
- Evaluate long-term debt needs/restructuring and implement, as necessary in conjunction with Finance Committee
- Collaborate with senior leadership to develop and implement strategic initiatives
- Interact with Director of Institutional Advancement and share ideas to ensure success of fundraising initiatives and goals
- Negotiate leases/contracts
- Engage with Finance, Audit, and Investment Committee members, Board members, and donors
- Develop relationships with bankers, investment advisors, lawyers, insurance brokers, and IT vendor
- Manage IT contract
- Manage health and dental insurance plans in conjunction with third-party benefits broker and evaluate best options (cost/benefit) for AVA
- Manage the 403(b) plan in conjunction with Merrill Lynch and Ascensus (plan administrator), including annual reporting, compliance, and 5500 filing; annually evaluate performance of funds and fund options offered to plan participants with Merrill Lynch and Investment Committee
This position requires someone with strong technical knowledge of accounting principles, with 8+ years of public accounting experience auditing not-for-profit organizations or as CFO/Director of Finance for a not-for-profit organization, along with a proven record of working and communicating effectively with Board members, colleagues, and donors. A BS in Accounting is required, CPA preferred.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No inquiries by telephone.
An equal opportunity employer, the Academy of Vocal Arts is committed to fostering an environment in which employees from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive.