Application with Pre-Screening Recordings
November 20, 2020 – February 15, 2021
Singers will be required to submit an MP4 video recording of three (3) arias.
- The arias should be of contrasting styles and languages.
- Recordings must be of the highest quality.
The AVA Faculty will review the recordings and those applicants who are selected, will be moved onto the virtual Semifinal Round to be held on March 8 & 9, 2021. Semifinalists will be selected to move the Live Round -Finals on Monday, March 22, 2021 in Philadelphia at AVA.
NOTE: Any applicant who wishes to have an early decision, regarding moving onto the Semifinal Round, by February 1st, must submit their application by January 1st. Singers with questions regarding the February 15th deadline should contact Val Starr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MARCH 8 & 9, 2021
The Semifinal Round will be virtual and scheduled via Acceptd’s ‘Audition Room’, which is Zoom based. Applicants who are selected to move onto this round, will be notified by March 1, 2021, unless their applications were submitted in time for early decision. Semifinalists will receive an email with their date and time plus instructions.
- For the Semifinal Round, applicants may use recorded music tracks for their audition if they do not have an accompanist.
Live Audition Round – Finals
March 22, 2021
Singers who are selected to move onto the Live Round-Finals will be sent an email that includes their time on March 22, 2021, and a list of audition instructions.
- For the Live Round-Final, AVA provides an accompanist, but applicants are permitted to bring their own.
- The applicant must supply a binder with copies of their arias, for the accompanist, at the time of audition.
- Applicants may warm up for 30 minutes in a practice room before their auditions.
- If an applicant is late for the scheduled audition, the panel will decide whether or not to hear the audition.
- The panel is not obliged to hear all the music that an applicant may have prepared or to give an audition evaluation.
- Applicants will be notified by mail of the result of their Live-Final audition within a few weeks of March 22nd.
For both the Semifinal and Live Final Rounds:
- Applicants should be prepared to sing five (5) arias of contrasting styles and languages.
- Applicants will choose an aria, and the faculty panel may choose an additional aria (or arias).
- The audition panel consists of the President and Artistic Director, Jeannine B. Cowles Music Director Chair, all voice instructors and vocal coaches, or any combination of above
Finalists will be notified by mail of the result of their audition within a few weeks of March 22nd.