Part Time Book Keeper
Part Time Book Keeper
Academy of Vocal Arts, Finance Office
The Academy of Vocal Arts (AVA) is a world-renowned premiere institution for training young artists to
become international opera soloists. Through rigorous instruction and coaching, and by presentation of
Resident Artists from around the world in fully-staged professional opera productions, as well as
concerts, oratorios, and public programs, AVA trains artists with the highest potential for career success,
while enriching lives in Philadelphia and beyond. The performing experience is a key component to
training outstanding singers and that which distinguishes it from other music/opera training programs.
The operas are chosen to fit the specific needs of the Resident Artists, helping to build repertoire for a
career in opera and vocal performance and providing technically challenging, but achievable artistic
Part-time staff position directly reporting to the Business Manager, and performing a variety of
functions pursuant to the management of the financial administration of the Academy.
$28 per hour
- Manages Accounts Payable. Classifies invoices for entering in the accounting system. Monitors the
timely payment of bills and invoices.
- Reviews and prints checks for payment, as advised by the Business Manager.
- Performs liaison work with suppliers, utilities, etc., by telephone and e-mail.
- Reconciles g/l accounts monthly.
- Assists the Business Manager in the generation of the monthly payroll, subcontracted to PrimePay,
and the related payments for Health Insurance, 403(b) Retirement Plan, TransitChek, and the other
- Assists the Business Manager in maintaining the process for the federal forms 1099 for all
contractors and service providers. Secures forms W-9 for new contractors. Performs the
AccountEdge protocol for generating and printing the forms 1099, mails the forms, and submits the
required copies to the IRS and PA Dept. of Revenue.
- Assists the Business Manager in the preparation work for the annual audit. Performs records
searches and generates all the reports required by the auditors, and forwards them to the Business
- Performs other duties related to Financial Management and Administration, as directed.
- Assists students with financial matters, including overseeing the preparation of the monthly
fellowship checks, distributing the checks, and other matters.
- Assists foreign students with financial matters related to their work-study payments, including the
preparation of Federal forms W-8 Ben, which require research into tax treaties with the applicable
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance and/or accounting preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in accounting, including nonprofit accounting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills, including dealing with situations particular to the Performing Arts
- Ability to negotiate and meet deadlines in an independent manner
- Proficiency in MS Office, specially Excel, Outlook and Word
- Understanding the particularities of managing an organization engaged in the Arts.
- Minimal staff support. Much of the work is hands-on.
- This is a school of music, therefore the work environment includes the frequent presence of music in the background.
Type of Employment: Hourly, Non-Exempt; 3 days per week, on site during working business hours.
The Academy of Vocal Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will be considered
without regard to race, ethnicity, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national
origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. Our office
facilities are handicapped-accessible.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com