A Celebration of American Composers
Music Director and Pianist: Luke Housner
February 6–10, 2021
Join us as we kick off the New Year with a recital celebrating American Composers! You’ll enjoy pieces by Copland, Menotti, Barber, Ives, and more. The recital length is approximately one hour.
This is a free virtual recital, and donations are encouraged.
Airing on AVA’s YouTube Channel on Saturday, February 6, 2021 and will be available until Wednesday, February 10th 11:59 EST.
Click here for the program PDF.
Ticketing: If you are having technical difficulties or are not connected to the internet you can call us directly for assistance, updates and descriptions of the digital experiences we are creating. Our Box Office Director Bill Buddendorf and Administrative Associate Stephen Trygar are eager and available to talk with you. You can call them directly at 215.735.1685, or please email Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org. For non-ticket related questions please contact us at email@example.com.
The Evening’s Program
Selections from Twelve Poems of Emily Dickinson by Aaron Copland (1900-1990)
Chelsea Laggan, mezzo soprano
- Why do they shut me out of Heaven?
- The world feels dusty
- Heart, we will forget him
- When they come back
- I felt a funeral in my brain
- I’ve heard an organ talk sometimes
Songs by Charles Ives (1874-1954)
Eric Delagrange, bass
- In the Alley
- An Old Flame
- Charlie Rutlage
- Songs my mother taught me
- The Children’s Hour
- Circus Band
Five Songs by Gian Carlo Menotti (1911-2007)
Aubry Ballarò, soprano
- The Eternal Prisoner
- The Idle Gift
- The Longest Wait
- My Ghost
- The Swing
Titus Muzi, baritone
- Blue Mountain Ballads by Paul Bowles (1910-1999)
- Heavenly Grass
- Lonesome Man
- Sugar in the Cane
- Sweet Suffolk Owl by Richard Hundley (1931-2018)
- The Nightingale by Clifford Shaw (1895-1957)
- Holding Each Other by Gene Scheer (b. 1958)
Three Songs, op. 45 by Samuel Barber (1910-1981)
Kara Mulder, soprano
- Now have I fed and eaten up the rose
- A Green Lowland of Pianos
- O Boundless, Boundless Evening
Meet the Artists
Special thanks to The Gray Charitable Trust as our Spring Season Sponsor